In exercise of the powers conferred by sub-section (1A) of section 143 of Income Tax Act, 1961 (43 of 1961), the Central Board of Direct Taxes hereby specifies the following scheme for processing of returns of income, namely:-
1. Short title and commencement.--
(1). This Scheme may be called the Centralised Processing of Returns Scheme, 2011.
(2). It shall come into force on the date of its publication in the Official Gazette.
2. Definition. -- In this scheme, unless the context otherwise requires -
(b) ''Board'' means Central Board of Direct Taxes constituted under the Central Board of Revenues Act, 1963 (54 of 1963).
(c) ''Centre'' means the Centralised Processing Centre having jurisdiction over such return of income as may be specified by the Board.
(d) ''Commissioner'' means the Commissioner of Income-tax, Centralised Processing Centre.
(e) ''Director General'' means the Director General of Income-tax (Systems).
(f) words and expressions used herein but not defined and defined in the Act shall have the meaning respectively assigned to them in the Act.
3. Scope of the Scheme.-- This scheme shall be applicable in cases where return of income has been furnished in,-
(i) electronic form; or
(ii) paper form, in case of a class or classes of persons, as notified by the Board in this behalf.
4. Receipt and Acknowledgment of Return of Income.--
(1) Where a return of income is filed electronically with digital signature, on successful transmission of the data, an acknowledgment as generated by the server of the Central Government shall be available to the person in printable format.
(2) The acknowledgment shall contain the acknowledgment number of the electronic transmission and the date of transmission as an evidence of filing of the return.
(3) A copy of the electronic transmission of filing the return of income shall be downloaded and kept by the person.
(4) Where a return of income is filed electronically without digital signature, on successful transmission of the data, an acknowledgment in Form ITR-V as provided in rule 12 of the Income Tax Rules, 1962 shall be generated by the server of the Central Government and available to the person.
(5) The Form ITR-V shall also contain the acknowledgment number of the electronic transmission and the date of transmission as an evidence of filing of the return.
(6) A copy of ITR-V shall be downloaded and after taking a printout of such a form, it shall be physically verified under the signature of the person and forwarded to the Centre.
(7) The Form ITR-V duly verified shall be sent to the Centre, either through ordinary or speed post, within such period of uploading the electronically filed return as may be specified by the Director General in this behalf.
(8) The date of transmitting the data electronically shall be the date of furnishing the return if the Form ITR-V is furnished in the prescribed manner and within the period specified.
(9) In case Form ITR-V furnished after the prescribed time is rejected on account of it being unsigned,...